Oracle Pool & Snooker Club
Oxford and District Billiards & Snooker Association
Founded in 1926 Contact Us 
Sponsored by Oracle Pool & Snooker Club
Welcome guest. Please login to enter results, access members' contact details or search for matches.
Sep 15 2005
The new snooker season got under way last Monday, with some good breaks in evidence.

Last seasonís Walt Bradbury Trophy winner, Paul Chester dominated proceedings with breaks of 79 and then a 63 clearance to secure an impressive win for Witney C at Abingdon RBL A in Division Two. The Abingdon side started well enough, with Kevin Broughton taking the opening frame from Ben Calcutt. Calcutt responded to win the second frame. Colin Adams then beat Fred Brett in two close frames before Chester sealed things in impressive style.

In Premier/Division One, Witney Aís dominated proceedings in their match against Thame A, with Gavin Wright recording the evenings second best break, a 74 clearance in the 4th frame of the match. Justin Buckingham secured the opening frames against Paul Evans with Wright then beating Dave Feore to make it 4-0 to Witney. Martin Cone rescued some pride for Thame, defeating Phil Smith in the final two frames. Malcolm Bough made a 59 break during Riley Bís 5-1 win over New Club A. Gary Bough took the first two frames from Alan Mander while Malcolm Bough proved far to strong for Justin Shepherd. The final frames saw Ian Gee fight things out with David Bough. Both frames were close, Gee taking the first by 10 points and Bough the final frame by 16. Elsewhere in Prem/Div 1, reigning champions County A, picked up a 5-1 win over Cherwell A, Oracle A beat Riley A 4-2, while Fieldside were held to a draw by Riley C.

Relegated Ashton A got their Division Two season off to a good start with a 5-1 win over newly promoted Woodstock B. Pete Fenn had little trouble against Rob Inman to put Ashton 2-0 ahead. Lee Hazel pulled a frame back, defeating Alan King in the third frame before King responded to take frame 4. Terry Chambers defeated Graham Chilton to wrap things up for Ashton. Riley D picked up a useful win at House club B, with Wayne Reddy collecting the final 2 frames of the night against Mick Augar. Earlier in the match Anthony Roberts drew with Keith Philpott, with Robert Adkins and Paul Larkins also sharing the spoils. Thame B drew with stablemates Thame C, as did Eynsham A against Oracle B.

Top break in Division Three fell to League newcomer Altaf Ali, who recorded 32 en-route to a 2-0 win over Jamie Saczak in the opening frames of Riley Eís game with Oracle C. Joe Zhao beat Richard Saunders to make it 4-0 to the Riley side before Simon Saunders stopped the rot for Oracle in frame 5. However, Saunders was unable to keep the momentum going and David Lo collected the final frame for Riley. Morris Motors B also recorded a 5-1 win, with victory over Cowley Con A. Eric Pratt and Keith Pearce traded the opening frames, but from then on the Motor Men took control. James Kerr had little trouble against Nick Sudworth, with Paul Smith wrapping things up against Arthur Coakley. Cowley Conís other sides in this division fared somewhat better, with the B team securing a draw against Morris Motors A and the C team a draw against Headington RBL A.

County C recorded a 6-0 maximum win over Witney D in Division 4. Paul Paddick, Kevin Hicks and Nick Anderson each proving too strong for their respective opponents. In the process, Hick recorded breaks of 26 and 20. Roger Tomlin top scored in the match between Morris Motors C and Eynsham B, with a break of 23 against Simon Harbour in the 3rd frame of the night. Harbour then responded in emphatic style to take the 4th frame. This was after James Griffin had shared the opening frames with Alan Wakefield. Bob Hayward took the final two frames from Mick Lyne to see Morrisís home as 4-2 winners. East Oxford Con B and Ashton B contested a draw, with all 6 players picking up a frame. Oracle D got their campaign of to a good start, with a 5-1 win over Cowley Con D.

In Division Five, an excellent break of 31 by Steve Fitzgerald enables Littlemore RBL B to force a draw against East Oxford Con A. Anthony Turner took the first frame of the night for the Littlemore side before Gary Washington snatched the second frame by a single point. John Richards then defeated Doug Turner to put EOC 3-1 ahead only for Fitzgerald to overcome Steve Richards in the last two frames. An all Eynsham clash saw the D side entertain the C team. John Dutton proved no match for Dan Brooks, the latter taking both frames and making a break of 25 in the process. Tim Bowles recorded a 22 break during his 2 frame win over Roy Gascoyne. With the C team now 4-0 ahead and firmly in command, Dave Walker managed to collect the fifth frame for the D team, but is was little reward as Allan Blackwell took the final frame for the C team.