Oracle Pool & Snooker Club
Oxford and District Billiards & Snooker Association
Founded in 1926 Contact Us 
Sponsored by Oracle Pool & Snooker Club
Welcome guest. Please login to enter results, access members' contact details or search for matches.
Sep 19 2005
Reigning champions, County A, maintained their grip on the Premier Division's top spot with a comprehensive 5-1 victory over Riley A. Olly Hoeblyn beat Tony Hicks, rattling in a break of 44 in the opening frame. Richard Tatton, who returned to league action this season after a three year absence, had little trouble against Gary Cowlin and made a break of 47 in his second frame. Jimmy Ewers made it 5-0, but John Butcher saved Riley's blushes by salvaging the final frame.

There were no fewer that four 40+ breaks in the match between Witney A and Oracle A. Justin Buckingham and Mike Russell contested the opening frames, with Russell making a break of 47 to take frame one and Buckingham a break of 65 to level the match at 1 all. Gavin Wright comprehensively out played David Noake and made a 46 break in the process. With Witney 3-1 to the good, Vince Taylor (also making a welcome return to league action after a number of years absence) made a break of 40 and proved too strong for Chris Warren. The match ended all square.

Riley C (formerly Oxford Snooker A) picked up their first win of the season with a comfortable 4-2 at home to Woodstock A. James Stone set them on their way, beating Stuart Reeve in the first two frames. Riley's went 3 up when Chris Stone stormed through the next frame, allowing Justin Page just 1 point in the process. The fourth frame was altogether closer, with Page taking it 61-54 on a respotted black. Andy MacBryan ensured victory for Riley's when he won frame five, with Priyan Shah taking the final frame for Woodstock.

Cherwell A were out of luck against Riley B in a match, which was much closer than the 0:6 score line suggests. Gary Bough edged past Ray Benwell in the opening frames, winning the first by 24 points and the second by 13. Frames three and four, between Malcolm Bough and Matt Webb, followed a similar pattern to the first two, Bough winning by 30 and 12 points respectively. Andy Benwell put up a terrific fight against Dave Baker in the final two frames, missing out by 12 points in the fifth frame and but a single point in the last.

Fieldside A came away from their trip to New Club A with a 4-2 win. Paul Robinson was little troubled by Justin Shepherd in the first two frames, before Ian Gee beat Richard Sambell in the third frame pulled one back for New Club. However, a break of 43 in frame 4 was sufficient to ensure Sambell restored Fieldside's 2 frame advantage. Bob Chivers took frame five to seal the match for Fieldside before Alan Mander took the last frame for the hosts.

Witney C top Division Two following their second win of the campaign. Colin Adams took the opening frame 56-45 against Robbie Langton, but Langton responded to bring the match level. Colin Cutler put Witney in command with a relatively easy win against Kevin Truby. Richard Partlett had little trouble against Paul Chester in frame 5, but it was Chester who took the final frame and with it, the match.

Oracle B move into second place thanks to an easy win at home to Thame C. Pete Machonochie steered Oracle ahead, dominating the two frames against Steve Hamstead. Phil Baker battled hard against Lee Pratley for a share of the spoils, Pratley winning frame three and Baker frame four. Chris Dearden proved no match for Jimmy Cairns and Oracle ran out 5-1 winners.

Thame B and Witney B shared the honours in an entertaining match. Terry Cook pipped Tom Fletcher by 4 points in the first frame, but Fletcher responded to take frame two, mainly thanks to breaks of 15 and a 22 clearance. Stephen Hedges restored Witney's advantage in frame three. Dave White looked to have done enough to win frame four, but a fluked pot off a snooker on the final red was enough to change to course and the outcome of the frame. Nigel Bossom was in no mood to see his side lose and breaks of 24 and 17 helped him storm to an 87-8 win against Simon Barker in frame five. Bossom started the final frame in similar vein, but Barker then began to find some form and made a real fight of it before going down 75-52.

After a solid start last week, Riley D came down to earth with a resounding "bump", going down 5-1 at home to Abingdon RBL A. Fred Brett set Abingdon on their way, comfortably beating Nathan Hawkes. Bill Cook extended the lead further, before Wayne Reddy recorded Riley's only success. John Dawson took the final two frames from Anthony Roberts.

Riley E have made an impressive start to their Division Three campaign and are already looking as though they are going to be the team to beat. After just two games they have already opened up a 3 point lead at the top of the table. Altaf Ali, Weifeng (Joe) Zhao and David Lo each proving too strong for their respective Thame D counterparts, Tim Burrell, Damien Keyte and Andy Maguire. The Riley boys eased to a 6-0 win during which Zhao made a break of 32 and Lo one of 28.

With three teams in the same division, Cowley Con will face some team rivalry this season. This week it was the turn of the A and C teams, with the C team emerging victorious. Mark Bayliss got the C team off to the best possible start with victory over Keith Pearce. Chick Wheatley and Arthur Coakley contested two close frames with Wheatley taking both to give the C team an unassailable lead. Nick Sudworth saved the A team from the ignominy of a white wash by winning the fifth frame, but it was too little too late and Jim Smart (Jnr) took the final frame for a 5-1 win.

Oracle C bounced back from defeat in their opening fixture with a 5-1 win over Cowley Con B. Simon Saunders had little trouble against 'old timer', Ken Olive, in the opening frame but Olive came back well in the second frame before losing out on the black. Richard Saunders then defeated Neil Kirby to make it 4-0. Jamie Saczak made a break of 24 en-route to winning the fifth frame before Jim Alder snatched the final frame for Cowley by just 2 points.

Roger Tomlin and Doug Baker picked up two frames apiece to guide Morris Motors A to victory against Cherwell B. Tomlin won the opening frames of the night agains Bob Lomas, but Mark Clifford responded for Cherwell, defeating Joe Kelly. It was then down to Baker who had enough in the tank to defeat Pete Astall for a 4:2 win.

Oracle D defeated Ashton B 6-0 and are the early pace setters in Division 4. Matty Bramall got Oracle off to a flyer in frame one but Tony Marshall made him fight for the second. Tom Cairns then pipped M Woodward on the black to make it 3-0 before going on to take the fourth frame a little more easily. Dave Hodgson easily took the remaining frames against Kevin Leach.

James Griffin and Steve Kirkland put Morris Motors C 4-0 up their match with Littlemore RBL A before last season's Buildbase Cup winner, Lee McAllister, beat Bob Hayward to take the remaining 2 points for Littlemore. Griffin defeated Darren Murray, while Kirkland beat McAully McAllister. East Oxford Con B continued their good start to the season with a fine 4-2 win away at House club A. Tony Barresi and Brian Field traded the first two frames as did Robbie Barresi and Sam Nicholls in the next two. The East Oxford Con match winner was Julio Barresi who had little trouble against Tony Smith.

Witney D bounced back from defeat last week to record an excellent 5-1 win at Eynsham B. Simon Harbour beat Chris Keeler in the fifth frame to take Eynsham's only point of the night. This was after Andy Keeler and Paul Keenlyside had beaten Mick Lyne and Jason Stubbs respectively.

Littlemore C followed up last week's win with a draw against Eynsham D and go top of Division Five. Syd Patterson got the better of Leigh Davies to get Eynsham off to a great start, but Lee Haggerty took frame three to pull a point back for Littlemore. John Ayres restored Eynsham's two fram advantage by winning frame 4, before Gavin Murray took the remaining two frames from John Dutton to leave the honours even.