Oracle Pool & Snooker Club
Oxford and District Billiards & Snooker Association
Founded in 1926 Contact Us 
Sponsored by Oracle Pool & Snooker Club
Welcome guest. Please login to enter results, access members' contact details or search for matches.
Billiards week 7 report
Oct 26 2005
Leaders Witney A suffered their first defeat when Fieldside A visited them and beat them 2-1. It also put paid to "Captain Cook's" victorious run, beaten by captain Paul Robinson whose winning sequence is now the same as Terry Cook - won 6, lost 1. Terry won the first six games losing the last, while Paul lost the first but has won the last six, making several breaks including a 63. He is the current man to beat.

With three postponed games now completed, Thame A and Fieldside A are making their presence felt. Witney A lead with 15 points, Oracle and Thame A are tied on 13 and Fieldside have 11. They occupy the top four positions in division 1.

Division 2 is now headed by Headington Con A with 12 points. Second on 11 are Thame B whose match with County A was postponed. Both have a game in hand. Ashton A are third with 10 points.

Mike Chapman (+100) gave Fieldside A a good start against Witney A when he beat Chris Warren (+100) 100-77. Gavin Wright (+20) made breaks of 43 and 21 to beat Bob Chivers (-40) 200-173 who replied with a 24 and 34. It was then left to the two captains to win the match and this Paul Robinson (-20) did in style for Fieldside A making breaks of 34, 29 and 63 to defeat Terry Cook (+30) 200-134.

Oracle A who are second in division 1 took on Cowley Con A who are bottom of Division 2 and beat them 2-1. But they did get a scare when they lost the opening game with Dick Hashman (-20) beating Richard Connerty (+80) 200-190. Ted Milsom (+50) rescued them when he just got the better of Arthur Coakley (+90) 150-141, and then Jack Woods (+90) played one of his best games to crush Keith Pearce (+60) 150-54 to give Oracle A the win.

Morris Motors A visited Thame A and got a 3-0 hiding. Mark Syrett (+60) beat Roger Tomlin (+50) 150-113. Mark Boyson (+100) made two 27 breaks to destroy Doug Baker (+60) 150-50 and then Martin Cone (-10) beat Bob Hayward (+60) 200-189.

Headington Con A visited Eynsham and came away 2-1 winners despite losing the opening game when Geoff Watson (+90) surprised Tony Palmer (+100) who only needed to score to win the game. But he missed and Geoff ran out with a 17 break to win 150-148. Geoff Barrett (+100) beat Ken Leach (+90) 150-132 and then John Williams (+80) won for the fifth time beating Roy Gascoyne (+110) 150-139.

Ashton A went to Cowley Con B and beat them 2-1. Keith Maskens (+60) beat Colin Simpson (+50) 150-142, but Ken Olive (+60) levelled the match beating Pete Fenn (+80) 150-114. In the decider between the captains Terry Chambers (-10) beat Brian Mabbutt (+10) 200-129.

Next week, the normal league programme is suspended. In its place the first round of the Atox Cup will be played. The draw is as follows:

Headington Con AvCowley Con A
Thame BvThame A
Fieldside AvCowley Con B
Eynsham AvAshton A

The following teams have a bye: Morris Motors A, Oracle A, County A and Witney A. The second round is scheduled for Wednesday 30th November.