Oracle Pool & Snooker Club
Oxford and District Billiards & Snooker Association
Founded in 1926 Contact Us 
Sponsored by Oracle Pool & Snooker Club
Welcome guest. Please login to enter results, access members' contact details or search for matches.
Jan 16 2006
County A’s march to a third consecutive Premier Division title continue unabated with a 4-2 win against fellow Premier Division side Riley A. Tony Hicks beat Richard Tatton 69-55 in the opening frame before Tatton hit back in style, claiming the second frame 99-0. Jimmy Ewers then thrashed Gary Cowlin 72-14, 77-1 to put County in control. Olly Hoeblyn made it 4-1 with a 76-20 win over John Butcher before Butcher took the last frame 69-25. New Club A went down 4-2 at Fieldside A, a result that leaves the Wheatley based side without a win this season.

The homes side went 2-0 up through Paul Robinson who beat Ian Gee 71-13, 67-33, but New Club were level thanks to Justin Shepherd hit a break of 31 and produced his best display of the season so far, to defeat Richard Sambell 54-41, 59-31. Alan Mander was unable to keep the New Club revival going and crashed 60-26, 73-17 to Bob Chivers who recorded a 45 break in the final frame.

Woodstock A also remain winless and stay bottom of the Division 1 table following defeat at home to Riley C who top the table. Riley’s were 4-0 ahead after wins for James Stone against Stuart Reeve (69-22, 49-31) and Chris Stone against Justin Page (58-34, 55-33). Priyan Shah beat Andy MacBryan in the last two frames (47-35, 56-46) to give Woodstock some solace.

Riley B enjoyed a 6-0 triumph against Cherwell A although the match was far closer than the score-line implies. Malcolm Bough edged out Matthew Webb 55-49 on the black in the first before winning the next 64-28. Ray Benwell and Dean Campbell had two hotly contested frames tight frames, with Campbell winning both by slender margins. Andy Benwell faired no better against Dave Bough, who took the fifth frame 60-33 and went on to win the sixth 78-1 aided by the week’s highest (notified) break of 58.

In contrast Oracle A and Witney A had a real battle. Pom Merola gave Justin Buckingham something to think about before losing out 65-48, 58-55. Nigel Barker pulled a frame back with a 64-49 win over Gavin Wright in frame three before Wright took the fourth 81-56. Chris Warren made it 4-1 with a slender 4 point win against Mike Russell in the fifth before Russell took the last frame 70-35. Overall, Oracle scored 342 points and Witney 341.

Division Two saw a top of the table clash with second placed Eynsham A hosting Witney C. Colin Cutler took the opening frame 64-44 to strike first for the leaders, but then it all went horribly wrong. Lawrence Parsons took frame two 70-43 to level the match and Bob Thiele then beat Colin Adams to put Eynsham 3-1 up. Richard Partlett compounded Witney’s bleak night with a 60-35, 70-40 (Partlett 30 break) win against Paul Chester.

Thame B, who just cannot seem to find the extra frame needed for a win, held Witney B to a draw. Their 9th such result in 12 league outings. Witney went 2-0 up thanks to Clive Burnett who made breaks of 25 & 21 in his 61-30, 74-22 win against Tom Fletcher. Simon Barker and Dave White matched each other almost shot for shot during frame 3 and the frame was level with pink and black remaining. Barker failed in an attempt on the pink and left it close to one of the middle pockets. White not only accepted the pot but also managed to cannon the black nearer to the corner pocket and took a straightforward ½ ball shot to win the frame. Their second frame saw White take an early lead, which he extended with breaks of 26 and 15 in consecutive visits. At 65-18 Barker conceded with all the colours still remaining. Stephen Hedges restored Witney’s lead with a 59-37 win over Nigel Bossom, before Bossom took the tense final frame 47-30.

At the foot of the table, bottom placed Woodstock B picked up their second win of the campaign with a useful 4-2 win at House Club B. Mike Auger and Neil Grant took a frame each as did Paul Larkins and Lee Hazell. Rob Inman was Woodstock’s match winner thanks to his 58-35, 50-29 triumph against Keith Philpott.

County D came from behind 2-0 and 3-1 behind to forced a draw with promotion hopefuls Oracle B. Pete Machonochie beat Steve Hale 55-39, 65-6 to put Oracle ahead. Although Geoff Barker beat Lee Pratley 55-48 on the black in frame 3, Pratley restored Oracle’s 2 frame advantage winning the fourth frame 55-23. David Thomson snatched the draw with a controlled display against Jimmy Cairns.

Riley D travelled to Abingdon RBL A and came a way with a 4-2 win. This was in no small part, thanks to a fine potting display by Anthony Roberts against Fred Brett, which included a break of 36. Earlier, Robert Adkins and Kevin Broughton traded frames, while John Dawson and Wayne Reddy did likewise over the final two frames.

Cowley Con C continue to laud it over the other two Cowley Con sides in Division Three. Their latest win saw them beat the A side 4-2. Dick Hashman made a rare snooker appearance but was beaten 54-41, 59-6 by Jim Smart Jnr, only for Keith Pearce to beat Jim Smart Snr in the next two frames. Mark Bayliss complete the win 59-30, 73-10 against Arthur Coakley.

Cherwell B and Morris Motors A shared the spoils, although the players had contrasting fortunes. Doug Baker was too strong for Bob Lomas and put the Motormen 2-0 up. Peter Astall then beat Des Truss to level things for Cherwell. Mick Lomas took the fifth frame to put Cherwell 3-2 up, before Tony Baker won the final frame for Morris’s

House Club A did their chances of division four survival a power of good with a 4-2 win away at high flying East Oxford Con B. Tony Nichols pipped Robbie Barresi by 48-44 to win the opening frame, but Barresi replied 55-22 in the next. Brian Field proved to be House Club’s ‘man of the match’ with a 55-30, 49-30 win against Tony Barresi, Tony Smith ensured House Club went away happy when he took the fifth frame 56-54. Julio Barresi took the final frame for EOC.

Steve Mills made a welcome return for Witney D and helped steer them to a 4-2 win against local rivals Eynsham B Mills got the home side off to a flyer, beating Alan Wakefield in some style. Paul Keenlyside beat Jason Stubbs to make it 4-0 before Simon Harbour pipped Andy Keeler in two close frames for the visitors.

Things are pretty tight in division five, with only seven points separating the top five teams. East Oxford Con A beat Littlemore RBL B 4-2 and in doing so leapfrog them into fourth place. Gary Washington gave EOC a perfect start thanks to a 62-49, 58-28 success against Anthony Turner. John Richards then trounced Doug Turner 59-10, 49-9 to make it 4-0. Steve Richards was unable to emulate his team mates, losing 71-24, 44-30 to Steve Fitzgerald.

Wescott A and Yarnton RBL A drew 3-3, but there was a slight controversy when Yarnton switched their playing order from that originally recorded on the match card (*see comments below). Pelham Sparks gave Westcott the lead when he beat Lee Parsons 61-47, but Parsons replied to win the second 41-33. Westcott went ahead again thanks to Dave Moon who beat Malcolm Binns 39-35, 53-49 in two very close frames. Mick Aust rescued the match for Yarnton with a 52-42, 40-29 win against Andy Huxley.

(*)As far as the controversy is concerned, League Rule 8h states that once names have been entered they cannot be altered without the consent of BOTH captains.

Rule 8h is as follows: In all matches the home captain shall first place his/her complete team onto the scorecard and the visiting captain shall place their complete team alongside. Players need not be seeded but play must proceed in the order entered on the scorecard. All three players from both teams must be entered on the scorecard before the match commences and may not be altered without the consent of both captains.